In this song I find it interesting that even though there is a standup base, it doesn't even come in until the bridge and until that point the guitar has kept the rhythm all by itself. The happiest sound in this song comes from the mandolin while the steel guitar haunts and the dobro moans. I can't say that this song fits the 32-bar popular song form because when we even disregard the odd counts in the intro and interlude, there is still 9 measures to each section of the chorus.
[1] Jerry Douglas playing his dobro with Zac Brown band.
Since not many people actually get to know what a dobro is because it is mostly confined to bluegrass and is replaced by the steel guitar on country radio, I thought I would do a little bit of research on the instrument. Two men, the Dopyera brothers from the Slovak Republic, invented the dobro in the 1920s in the United States. The name of the dobro actually comes from the beginning letters of their last name and the word brothers (DOpyera BROthers). The first dobro in a band format was used by the Foggy Mountain Boys. This was a couple decades before the name "bluegrass" music came around in the 1950s [Academy of Bluegrass]. Dobro also meant "good" in Slavonic languages. The dobro is actually a resonator guitar, or a guitar built with several resonating discs to provide its unique moaning sound. It was orginally built because of the demand for guitars that played at a louder volume, back before we had amplifiers. The electric guitar took over this market after World War II. The dobro at first was used in country blues and hillbilly music. Like I said, its mainly heard only in bluegrass now, but apparently is also used by some rock and jazz musicians [Oxford Music Online]. I actually have a friend that plays the dobro and he is part of The Franz Family band. I would put him up there with Jerry Douglas as he can really cause goosebumps with his music and take the breath from an entire audience.

I'm glad I got to learn what that instrument (the dobro) was actually called today. Interesting fact!
ReplyDeleteAn excellent group of musicians, and I'm pleased that you did some looking regarding the dobro. One of the interesting things about Krauss and her group is the ingenious manner in which they build phases in their tunes. Very interesting, always.
ReplyDelete